Are You the Victim of Food Poisoning?
San Jose Food Poisoning Attorney Explains Symptoms and Causes of Foodborne Illness
No one expects to get sick when they eat food from a trusted source. After all, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration has specific food regulations and guidance to help prevent illness. Nonetheless, becoming a victim of a foodborne illness has become more common than ever. For example, large companies like McDonald’s have been dealing with a parasitic illness linked to salads. Even packaged and heavily processed foods are giving food companies headaches. On August 9th, 2018, a woman was hospitalized in Alabama consuming Goldfish from Pepperidge Farm, result in a salmonella lawsuit against the company according to ABC News. If you have been the victim of a foodborne illness, you might have some questions about your rights. Our San Jose food poisoning attorney has answers.
We believe no one should have to suffer because of poor business practice, unsafe conditions or tainted food. At the Law Offices of Braid Pezzaglia, we can investigate the details of your situation and help strengthen your claim. Our San Jose food poisoning lawyer has been helping people pursue financial recovery for foodborne illness claims for decades. If you became sick after eating a food product or while dining in a restaurant, we can investigate the details. Ultimately, our goal is to highlight the facts that support your claim and set a precedent for the future.
What Are the Symptoms of Food Poisoning?
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) in a 2016 report, 48 million people get food poisoning every year. Of those 48 million, 128,000 require hospitalization and 3,000 die every year. Most food poisoning victims have the same symptoms. Since this is the case, if you experience one of these symptoms, contact our San Jose food poisoning attorney. Our firm can scrutinize the details and let you know if we can strengthen a food poisoning claim. Some common symptoms of food poisoning involve:
- Fever: After a foodborne illness, you can experience fever symptoms. These symptoms can feel similar to having a seasonal flu.
- Upset Stomach: In general, food poisoning causes your body to become dehydrated. Since this is the case, you will notice your stomach becoming upset around 24 hours after eating the contaminated food.
- Cramps and Nausea: Cramps and nausea from food poisoning can be so severe that you might find them temporary disabling.
- Vomiting and Diarrhea: After experiencing a fever and upset stomach issues, you may experience vomiting and diarrhea. If this happens to you, contact your medical provider and then a reliable San Jose food poisoning attorney.
What Factors Contribute to Foodborne Illness?
If you believe you have been the victim of food poisoning, you might have questions about how your food became contaminated. By identifying possible contributors to your illness you can discover if a party acted negligently and contributed to your illness. In most cases, if you have a certain type of foodborne illness, it is likely that the below factors played a part. Common food poisoning illnesses like Salmonella Typhi, Salmonella SPP, Shigella SPP, Enterohemorrhagic, Escherichia coli (e coli), hepatitis A virus and Norovirus usually result because of:
- Improper Storage Temperature. In most cases, food should be refrigerated at a temperature of 41 degrees Fahrenheit or below. Walk in coolers, transportation trucks and other cold storage devices should maintain this temperature to prevent pathogens in the food. When food enters a range of 41F and 135F, it enters the “danger zone.” At these temperatures, your food can cause illness.
- Inaccurate Cooking Temperature. Each food has its own proper temperature. This is especially important with meat, such as raw chicken, which can easily carry salmonella. Ultimately, a proper temperature will kill bacteria on the food. According to Orange County Health Agency, poultry should be cooked to 165F, ground meats to 155F, fish to 145F and fruits and vegetables 135F.
- Contamination by Equipment. Dirty utensils and cooking equipment can result in a food poisoning claim. If a restaurant does not frequently clean equipment, then old food residue builds up at room temperature. As a result, bacteria can grow and cause contamination.
- Poor Hygiene. Food workers should maintain safety precautions when handling products. One of these precautions is to practice good hygiene and prevent handling food when they are ill. However, if a food employee is not properly bandaged or does not properly handle food, you can become diagnosed with a food illness such as salmonella or norovirus.
- Contaminated Food Source. In some cases ingredients for food are contaminated. When this happens, a domino effect occurs, with every food product down the line becoming contaminated because of the unsafe food source.
Are You Suffering from a Foodborne Illness? Our San Jose Food Poisoning Attorney Offers a Free Consultation
Are you experiencing a fever, upset stomach or other symptoms after consuming food you may believe to be contaminated? Do you have questions about your rights and how to investigate the details surrounding your claim? Our firm believes that no one should suffer from the poor business practice and unsanitary conditions from food providers. If you are suffering, losing wages from time off work or have medical expenses, contact our experienced San Jose attorney.
At the Law Offices of Braid Pezzaglia, we have been protecting the rights of foodborne illness victims for over 20 years. Our firm has helped people mitigate risk and strengthen claims. As a result of our hard work, we have been able to win multi-million dollar settlements for our clients. If you are sick because of food poisoning, contact our law firm. We can review your case with a free consultation and let you know how our team of professionals can help.
Experienced & Dedicated Counsel
Attorney Braid Pezzaglia has over 20 years of dedicated legal experience and provides legal counsel and guidance in five languages, including Japanese, Spanish, Chinese, and Tagalog. We work to customize your experience for your needs.
Personalized Strategies & Results
Unlike other firms, our firm cares about instilling confidence in both you and your case. Our attorneys work one-on-one with you to ensure that your unique needs and goals are not only understood but obtained.
Accountable & Transparent
At the Law Offices of Braid Pezzaglia, we pride ourselves on always being available to our clients and we make it our main priority to keep you informed on how our team is working to obtain the best possible result on your behalf