Burn Injury Lawyer in San Jose
You Deserve Compensation for Your Injuries
After a severe burn injury, you could spend years facing ongoing treatment. You might even find yourself temporarily disabled or unable to work. Your loss of income will make it difficult for you to pay your rehabilitation costs. Severe burns often cause extreme pain and can lead to long-term health problems such as life-threatening infections and disfigurement. According to the American Burn Association (ABA), approximately 4,500 burn victims die from their injuries each year. Our attorneys have experience advocating for burn injury victims and will fight to secure you a reasonable financial settlement. If a negligent party was responsible for your burn injuries, then we will help you hold them accountable.
With decades of personal injury litigation experience, Braid Pezzaglia has a thorough understanding of the California legal system. He has helped secure his clients millions of dollars in awarded damages. Along with his professional experience, Mr. Pezzaglia is deeply involved in civic matters within the San Jose community. He serves as a volunteer arbitrator, listening to and resolving disputes between attorneys and clients. His dedication to helping his community proves that he cares deeply about enhancing the lives of other people. If you need an attorney, then the Law Offices of Braid Pezzaglia will assist you throughout the legal process. By contacting a San Jose burn injury lawyer, you are receiving guidance from someone who cares about your long-term future.
What Are Common Types of Severe Burns?
Although each burn injury looks different, there are several common types of severe burns. They include:
- Chemical burns: If your skin or eyes come into contact with a harsh irritant, then you could receive a chemical burn. Acid, ammonia, bleach, and strong cleaners are all substances that can cause chemical burns. You should seek medical attention if your burn is larger than three inches or on a major body organ.
- Electrical burns: An electrical burn happens when your body touches an electric current. Our internal systems are not immune to electricity, so injuries can occur when an electric current enters your body. If you are hit by a strong jolt, then a burn might show up on your skin. You should seek medical attention immediately after touching an electric current.
- Friction burns: During an accident, your skin can repeatedly rub or scrape against a hard surface. This can cause a friction burn, which is classified into differing degrees. The majority of friction burns are first-degree. They typically heal within three to six days. If your friction burn is more serious, then you should seek immediate medical attention.
- Thermal burns: A thermal burn can occur when you come into contact with a hot surface. You will typically suffer a thermal burn after touching heated appliances, flames, or molten liquid or steam. Treating a thermal burn depends upon the location and severity of the burn. If your burn is moderate to severe, then you should seek professional help.
- Radiation burns: When undergoing radiation therapy, cancer patients can suffer from radiation burns. If you frequently receive radiation treatment, then your skin could develop sores or ulcers. It can take several weeks or months for the skin around the wound to regenerate and heal.
What Are the Different Classifications of Burn Injuries?
While you should try to avoid getting burned, accidents are inevitable. Whether you are at work, home, or a public place, you never know when you could suffer from a disfiguring burn. After an accident, it is important to know the difference between moderate and severe burns. Knowing this information will help you determine the type of medical treatment you need to recover.
The different classifications of burn injuries are:
- First-degree burns are also known as superficial burns. They affect the outer layer of skin called the epidermis. A mild sunburn is an example of a first-degree burn. Long-term damage after a first-degree burn is extremely rare.
- Second-degree burns are also called partial-thickness burns. They affect the epidermis and a part of the dermis layer of skin. The burn is red, blistered, and extremely painful. In certain cases, the burn can appear swollen. Long-term damage occurs more often with a second-degree burn.
- Third-degree burns are commonly referred to as full-thickness burns. If you receive a third-degree burn, then your epidermis and dermis will be destroyed. A burn this severe can go deep into the subcutaneous tissue. Long-term damage is extremely common with a third-degree burn.
- Fourth-degree burns go further than fully destroying the epidermis and dermis. They also damage the bones, muscles, and tendons beneath the burn site. After a fourth-degree burn, there is no more sensation in the burn area, because your nerve endings are completely destroyed.
Badly Burned? Contact a San Jose Burn Injury Lawyer Today
Although you may have excellent health insurance, it is important to retain the services of an experienced attorney after being burned. There is no guarantee that your insurance provider will pay for years of medical treatment after a burn injury. By contacting a San Jose burn injury lawyer, you are protecting yourself from mistreatment by any opposing party.
If you are suffering from severe burns, then you must contact the Law Offices of Braid Pezzaglia today at (408) 650-8955 and schedule a consultation. You can also contact us online and tell us about your case. We promise to answer all of your questions and look forward to meeting with you soon.
Experienced & Dedicated Counsel
Attorney Braid Pezzaglia has over 20 years of dedicated legal experience and provides legal counsel and guidance in five languages, including Japanese, Spanish, Chinese, and Tagalog. We work to customize your experience for your needs.
Personalized Strategies & Results
Unlike other firms, our firm cares about instilling confidence in both you and your case. Our attorneys work one-on-one with you to ensure that your unique needs and goals are not only understood but obtained.
Accountable & Transparent
At the Law Offices of Braid Pezzaglia, we pride ourselves on always being available to our clients and we make it our main priority to keep you informed on how our team is working to obtain the best possible result on your behalf