World Against Toys Causing Harm, or WATCH, is a consumer group that releases annual reports detailing the year’s 10 most dangerous toys. The group recently released their 10 Worst Toys of 2017 report in hopes of helping parents become aware of potentially hazardous toys and avoid them this holiday. Here is the list of this year’s most dangerous toys, and why they present a hazard to your children:
- Hallmark “Itty Bitty’s” Baby Stacking Toy. Due to small parts, this toy can present a choking hazard.
- Pull Along Pony. This toy comes with a looped string to pull the toy with, and that string presents a strangulation hazard.
- Wonder Woman Battle-Action Sword. This sword, based on the popular movie, can cause blunt force injuries as well as injuries to eyes.
- Hand Fidgetz Spinners. Perhaps the hottest toy of the year, parents may not realize that this toy can create a choking hazard. Several children in the United States have already been hospitalized this year from choking on small pieces of fidget spinners.
- Spider-Man Spider-Drone Official Movie Edition. Children can be injured if they are struck by this flying object, and the spinning blades can cause eye injuries.
- Nerf Zombie Strike Dreadbolt Crossbow. This toy’s high-speed bolts can cause eye injuries.
- Slackers Slackline Classic Series Kit. The slackline itself presents a strangulation hazard, and children can fall off while using the slackline, causing fall-related injuries such as broken bones.
- Oval Xylophone. This unassuming children’s toy can lead to choking injuries and other injuries from ingestion.
- Jetts Heels Wheels. These wheels have flints in the heels that produce sparks when in use, which could lead to burn injuries.
- Brianna Babydoll by Melissa & Doug. This baby doll comes with a small pacifier that presents a choking hazard.
Be sure to avoid these dangerous toys, and have a happy holiday, San Jose!